Did you know
“We’ve Only Just Begun” is a classic song performed by the American music duo Carpenters, consisting of Karen Carpenter and her brother Richard Carpenter. The song was released in 1970 on their album “Close to You.” Here are some details about the song:
1. Songwriters: “We’ve Only Just Begun” was written by Paul Williams and Roger Nichols, two accomplished songwriters of the era.
- Musical Brilliance: The Timeless Allure of Elvis Presley’s “Steamroller Blues”
- Rockin’ with Elvis: The Energetic Saga of “Steamroller Blues” (1973)
- The Birth of Rock ‘n’ Roll: Elvis Presley’s “That’s All Right” Legacy
- Elvis’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Anthem: Rediscovering “That’s All Right” Today
- The King’s Serenade: How Elvis Presley Breathed Life into “Bridge Over Troubled Water”
2. Genre: The song is primarily classified as a soft rock and adult contemporary ballad, characterized by its gentle melody and Karen Carpenter’s warm, expressive vocals.
3. Chart Performance: “We’ve Only Just Begun” was a commercial success, reaching the number two spot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the United States in 1970. It helped establish Carpenters as a prominent act in the music industry.
4. Musical Style: The song features a beautiful, melodic arrangement with a prominent piano, acoustic guitar, and lush orchestration. Karen Carpenter’s distinctive and emotive voice is a key element of the song’s charm.
5. Lyrics: The lyrics of “We’ve Only Just Begun” convey a message of hope, promise, and new beginnings. They depict a couple embarking on their journey together, with the understanding that they have a lifetime ahead of them to explore and build their love.
6. Impact and Legacy: “We’ve Only Just Begun” is considered one of Carpenters’ signature songs and is often regarded as a classic of the soft rock and adult contemporary genres. It continues to be a favorite at weddings and special occasions.
7. Awards: The song received critical acclaim and earned Carpenters a Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Vocal Performance by a Duo, Group, or Chorus in 1971.
8. Cultural Influence: The song has been featured in numerous films, TV shows, and commercials and has been covered by various artists over the years, further cementing its status as an enduring classic.
“We’ve Only Just Begun” is celebrated for its timeless melody, Karen Carpenter’s remarkable vocal performance, and its ability to evoke feelings of optimism and romance. It remains a beloved and frequently played song on adult contemporary and easy listening radio stations.
We’ve only just begun to live
White lace and promises
A kiss for luck and we’re on our way
We’ve only begun
Before the rising sun we fly
So many roads to choose
We start out walking and learn to run
And yes, we’ve just begun
Sharing horizons that are new to us
Watching the signs along the way
Talking it over just the two of us
Working together day to day
And when the evening comes we smile
So much of life ahead
We’ll find a place where there’s room to grow
And yes, we’ve just begun